- A cereal grown in warm countries and regions with poor soils, bearing a large crop of small seeds which are chiefly used to make flour.
More example sentences
- Several species in the family Gramineae, in particular common millet (Panicum miliaceum), of temperate regions, the tropical finger millet (Eleusine coracana), which is a staple in parts of Africa and India, and pearl millet
- They grow cereals (sorghum, finger millet, and maize), oil seeds (sesame and niger seed), legumes, and root crops.
- Cereals such as oats, barley, millet, buckwheat, rye, sesame, nuts and seeds are preferable.
- Wheat, barley, rice, rye, oats, millet and corn are the world's top food crops.
late Middle English: from French, diminutive of dialect mil, from Latin milium.
More definitions of milletDefinition of millet in:
- The US English dictionary