Definition of millstone in English:
1Each of two circular stones used for grinding corn.
- On a more secular level, stone was used for a number of purposes, the most widespread being the manufacture of quern stones and millstones in water-mills.
- Then they are ground through three pairs of water-powered millstones, becoming successively finer with each set of stones, and packed into airtight containers for distribution.
- He explained that they were the sites where millstones were cut from the outcrops of Millstone Grit.
1.1A heavy and inescapable responsibility: she threatened to become a millstone round his neck
More example sentences
- I felt like a millstone round her neck, her own health problems taking a back seat to my own.
- He regarded Holmes as a millstone round his neck, preferring to research and write historical fiction.
- The house is lovely but it's a millstone round your neck if you can't make enough money to redecorate it.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan