Definition of millstone in English:
1Each of two circular stones used for grinding corn.
- On a more secular level, stone was used for a number of purposes, the most widespread being the manufacture of quern stones and millstones in water-mills.
- Then they are ground through three pairs of water-powered millstones, becoming successively finer with each set of stones, and packed into airtight containers for distribution.
- He explained that they were the sites where millstones were cut from the outcrops of Millstone Grit.
1.1A heavy and inescapable responsibility: she threatened to become a millstone round his neck
More example sentences
- I felt like a millstone round her neck, her own health problems taking a back seat to my own.
- He regarded Holmes as a millstone round his neck, preferring to research and write historical fiction.
- The house is lovely but it's a millstone round your neck if you can't make enough money to redecorate it.
Words that rhyme with millstonewhinstone • siltstone
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.