Definition of mincemeat in English:
1chiefly British A mixture of currants, raisins, sugar, apples, candied peel, spices, and suet, typically baked in pastry: spoon the mincemeat into the pastry cases
More example sentences
- in Britain, is a miniature round pie, filled with mincemeat: typically a mixture of dried fruits, chopped nuts and apples, suet, spices, and lemon juice, vinegar, or brandy.
- My mother would make her favorite bread pudding: layers of buttered bread sandwiching mincemeat and marmalade, doused with cream and eggs, baked until puffy as a quilted pillow, and slathered with hard sauce.
- The final cook-off is the culmination of an eight month long search for the best amateur mincemeat and pastry cook in the country.
- We also do rhubarb, strawberry, and lemon, and I make my own mincemeat out of elk meat.
- Meat eaters, they will come readily to the hand for mincemeat or strips of beef, even cheese, in dry times.
- Cattle were making between 80 to 84p per lb at the moment but a pound of mincemeat in the butchers cost more.
- 1make mincemeat of
- informal Defeat decisively in a fight, contest, or argument: a hostile Public Prosecutor would make mincemeat of herMore example sentences
- But men tend to do it, de Waal writes, ‘in the more civilized manner of making mincemeat of someone else's arguments or, more primitively, giving others no time to open their mouths.’
- But his team say he's confident of making mincemeat of them when they finally get down to specific policy commitments, with a major onslaught already planned for that Manchester conference.
- Of course, the gag running through all the action is that these old geezers from another era are competing with guys 40 years their junior and making mincemeat of them.
Words that rhyme with mincemeatforcemeat • backstreet
Definition of mincemeat in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.