- 1Acting or done without justification and with no concern for the consequences: a generation of mindless vandals mindless violenceMore example sentences
stupid, idiotic, brainless, imbecilic, imbecile, asinine, witless, foolish, empty-headed, vacuous, unintelligent, half-witted, dull, slow-witted, obtuse, weak-minded, feather-brained, doltish, blockish• informal dumb, moronic, pig-ignorant, dead from the neck up, brain-dead, cretinous, thick, thickheaded, birdbrained, pea-brained, pinheaded, dopey, dim, dim-witted, dippy, pie-faced, fat-headed, blockheaded, boneheaded, lamebrained, chuckleheaded, dunderheaded, wooden-headed, damfool, muttonheadedBritish • informal divvyScottish & Northern English • informal glaikitSouth African • informal dofWest Indian • informal dotishgratuitous, careless, wanton, indiscriminate, unreasoning, uncalled for, brutish, barbarous, barbaric
- Sadly there were times over the past few months when they had to go back to certain areas and start from scratch all over again, thanks to some mindless vandals who seemed intend on trying to drag Carlow down.
- Then to top it all, my son who works hard, stays off the street corners and is a responsible adult, paid for a car, taxed and insured it and then mindless vandals covered his beloved car with eggs and flour and let the tyres down.
- With the schools now closed for Easter holidays, fears are growing that other prominent buildings will be targeted by the mindless vandals and their spray cans.
- 1.1(Of an activity) so simple or repetitive as to be performed automatically: the monotony of housework turns it into a mindless taskMore example sentences
- But it is a place where we perform a relatively mindless and simple activity.
- Heaven preserve us from all these repetitive, mindless tasks.
- Seeing beings like me being forced to perform mindless tasks over and over made me sad, and helping them by escaping made me happy.
- 2 (mindless of) Not thinking of or concerned about: mindless of the fact she was in her nightie, she rushed to the doorMore example sentences
- Lisa's heart soared as they stopped dancing and she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him back, mindless of the fact that they were in the middle of the dance floor.
- She hugged him tighter, mindless of the fact that it made her bruises ache.
- More example sentences
- I couldn't do anything except mindlessly click the refresh button on any news site I could find.
- Punk rock was never about smashing things mindlessly.
- How fickle the human race is, able to create such a powerful tool, and at the same time being controlled and mindlessly driven by it.
- More example sentences
- With our fear, ignorance, alienation, mindlessness, indifference, and fragmentation we do not realize that such beliefs are not natural.
- But the US and Britain's continued wilful refusal to accept culpability for the development of the psychological despair that led to this horrific act constitutes mindlessness truly worthy of the name.
- Even today, thousands of acres of western Kabul lie in rubble, and visitors who tour it are invariably stunned by the scale, and mindlessness, of the destruction.