Definition of minehunter in English:
A ship or aircraft used for detecting explosive submarine mines.
- One of the Royal Navy's hi-tech minehunters has spent more than half of the last year far from home, in the Baltic.
- The estuary and Khawr waterway have been combed by helicopters hauling mine detectors on sledges, and by minesweepers and minehunters, while Chatham's helicopter provided air support.
- The frigate was berthed next to Sandown-class minehunters HM ships Grimsby and Bangor, forming the centrepiece of British Week, which promoted British interests in the Baltic state.
minehunting noun & adjective
- Example sentences
- The ship structure is able to meet all minewarfare roles, including surveillance, minelaying, minehunting and minesweeping.
- The Landsort is permanently equipped for both minehunting and minesweeping.
- Training opportunities are also grasped, from the routine business of minehunting to casualty-handling, salvage and firefighting.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan