- A deep narrow vertical hole, or sometimes a horizontal tunnel, that gives access to a mine: one member of this party almost vanished down a hidden disused mineshaftMore example sentences
- The geology of the immediate area of the Detroit Salt Mine was derived from logs of the mineshafts, exploratory core holes and nearby oil, gas and brine wells.
- As part of the work, deep mineshafts and an underground canal system will be made safe.
- Disused mineshafts in Johannesburg could be turned into catacomb-style cemeteries, in a bid by the City Parks agency to accommodate the increasing number of people dying from AIDS.
More definitions of mineshaftDefinition of mineshaft in:
- The US English dictionary