- 1A movement in sculpture and painting which arose in the 1950s, characterized by the use of simple, massive forms.More example sentences
- Tate cites influences on Gallagher's work ranging from bebop to hip hop, from abstract expressionism to minimalism to the postmodern, and identity-based art of the recent decade or so.
- Styles as varied as Pop art, minimalism and even performance art embrace the still life style.
- Artists were engaged in such varied practices as minimalism, Earthworks, Photo-realism, conceptual art, performance art, and feminist art.
- 2An avant-garde movement in music characterized by the repetition of very short phrases which change gradually, producing a hypnotic effect.More example sentences
- Claiming to have been hugely into minimalism and avant-garde music by the time he hit high school, Jim O'Rourke's stock took a blow in the credibility department with me.
- A favorite of the great Czech conductor Rafael Kubelik, St Wenceslas prefigures late twentieth century minimalism with its repetitive chorale theme and luminous string figurations.
- The headliner for the Irving Plaza shows was Tortoise, an instrumental band that dips into minimalism, lounge music, jazz and rock.
- 3Deliberate lack of decoration or adornment in style or design: his living room was a testament to minimalismMore example sentences
- Sasha Sykes's country-inspired contemporary furniture is the perfect choice for anyone put off by the unwelcoming minimalism of most modern design.
- But there is a growing trend for more modern designs - although minimalism is still not a hit.
- The Boscolo Hotel Exedra is a pleasant mixture of chic minimalism and old-fashioned high style - just the place for those who have become accustomed to the good things in life and do not mind paying for this kind of luxury.
More definitions of minimalismDefinition of minimalism in:
- The US English dictionary