1.1 [as modifier] (In game theory) denoting a strategy that minimizes the greatest risk to a participant.
- This paper introduced the idea of minimax reasoning for lower bounding randomized algorithms, and appeared only in FOCS 83.
- Michie recalls Turing experimenting with heuristics that later became common in chess programming (in particular minimax and best-first).
- There are real problems of deciding whether a given ‘game’ has a global minimax or multiple local minimaxes or a minimax at all!
1.2 [as modifier] Denoting the theory that in a game with two players, a player’s smallest possible maximum loss is equal to the same player’s greatest possible minimum gain.
- One possible solution is the minimax search algorithm.
- In game theory von Neumann proved the minimax theorem.
Definition of minimax in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.