- A boldly patterned Asian cuckoo-shrike (songbird), the male of which is typically red and black, and the female yellow and grey.
More example sentences
- Genus Pericrocotus, family Campephagidae: several species
- A short walk along the naval base yielded many interesting bird species including a pair of common grey hornbills, spotted owlets, small minivets, shikra & Common Iora to name a few.
- There were calls of Sunbirds, flowerpeckers, Ioras, drongos, minivets.
- It is common to see such rare birds as the blue-coated flycatcher, the crimson-breasted barbet, the scarlet minivet and even the Paradise flycatcher, and there is an abundance of Golden Oriole.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.