Definition of minnow in English:
1A small freshwater Eurasian fish of the carp family, which typically forms large shoals.
- Phoxinus phoxinus, family Cyprinidae
- There are also rudd, bream, eels, gudgeon, crucian carp, tench, minnows, perch, sticklebacks, the odd trout, pike and barbel present.
- The boys used a net to lift the fish from the mud and took it to their mum, a keen fish keeper who already owns guppies, minnows and a goldfish.
- Other species caught included a handful of pike up to about five pounds in weight and a single chub, plus minnows and bullheads too numerous to count.
1.1Used in names of small freshwater fishes similar to the minnow, e.g. mudminnow, topminnow.
- The central mudminnow not a true minnow was first recorded in Maine in 1999 from the OronoOld Town area.
- Although called a minnow, the topminnow is not really a minnow but belongs to the family Fundulidae.
1.2 Fishing An artificial lure imitating a minnow.
- I always take a big selection of Sea-Ducers Bend backs, Clouser minnows and Lefty Kreh Deceivers in sizes from 1's through to 4/0's in various colour combinations.
- All you need is a rod capable of casting a fast sinking eight or nine weight line fitted with a two foot leader of about 15 lb breaking strain and a selection of Clouser minnows in size 2's and 4's.
- When chasing bass I would always want a few Clousers minnows in various colours especially chartreuse and white, some Lefty Kreh Deceivers, and a few sand eel patterns and poppers.
2A small or insignificant person or organization: the paper is a minnow in the national newspaper mass market
More example sentences
- As a result, Bulldog has only attracted 80,000 users to its broadband and telephony service - a minnow in the broadband market.
- They are the mighty minnows of the national league, a wee club with limited history and resources, but an indomitable instinct for survival.
- The Afghan national army is a minnow alongside the 85,000 armed fighters in the ranks of regional warlords.
Definition of minnow in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan