- It was not easy to find people to mend your shoes, repair your broken zipper or anything else that might be of minor importance but that is necessary for daily life.
- Several minor incidents of little significance are included.
- Against this kind of background, the Northern Ireland situation is of much more minor importance.
- Yet by bar 3, where the two basic scale-motifs are concatenated to form five notes of an A minor scale, the tonality is in doubt.
- The fingering chart provided on page 111 fails to identify the minor scale form being illustrated.
- If a major interval is made a half step smaller without changing its numerical name, it becomes a minor interval.
- Diminished intervals are created when a perfect or minor interval is made one half step smaller and the interval number is not changed.
- I think it's just that I like to compose in minor keys.
- The touching ‘Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel’ combines Wilson's epic sentimentality with soft minor keys.
- All three movements use fairly melodic material, all in minor keys.
- where P, S, and M are the major, minor, and middle terms of the syllogism.
- Notice that the minor premise of the syllogism above is only marginally contingent upon historical analysis.
- In most cases, it identifies the conclusion that is to be accepted and then goes on to identify what it to be argued for (the minor premise).
- You have to make out a major premise in this case and there is also a question as to even if you make out your major premise whether or not the minor premise is made out, given the various facts to which I referred you.
- It may be now legal for minors to donate to campaigns, but I believe there is a requirement that the donors' names over a minimum amount be reported, is there not?
- Yet, four centuries on, we are told that smoking among minors, especially young girls, is on the increase.
- The committee was concerned about removing existing legal protections for minors if they enter into a de facto relationship.
- Yet he will conjure a few bars in the minor where possible and darken textures by shunting to the subdominant.
- Themes initially stated in the major mode recur more strongly in the minor.
- Each major key is followed by its parallel minor.
- Other terms for even numbers of bells include Minor (6 bells), Major (8 bells), Royal (10 bells) and Maximus (12 bells).
- We ring whatever people ask for including Stedman Doubles, Crayford Minor and Norwich Surprise Minor.
- You'll never find perfect baseball in the minors, but stories from Miguel Cabrera to Bucky Jacobsen are enough for me.
- From 1988 through 1991, Schilling had split time between the minors and the major leagues in each of those seasons.
- Bragan's managerial ingenuity in confronting umpires was almost unlimited, both in the major leagues and the minors.
- He chose a philosophy minor, and several courses in classics as electives.
- I have a bachelor's degree in education with an art minor from the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater.
- The theme school concept could easily develop into a collegiate minor.
- I prove the minor, because your father is known by you and your father is the one approaching; hence, the one approaching is known by you.
- This is called the fallacy of the illicit minor.
- Genus Oligia, family Noctuidae.
- Minors and Rustics are extremely small and are often mistaken for micro moths, especially Pyralids.
- Some Minors also fly in sunshine.
verb[no object] (minor in) North American
- As a young brother, I majored in biology and minored in religious studies at St. Mary's College, Moraga, California.
- I too, am Native American of the Cherokee tribe and I minored in Native American studies in college.
- Koehler has provided outstanding leadership in presenting graduate courses to students majoring and minoring in statistics.
in a minor key
- (Especially of a literary work) understated: only Britain’s poetry, composed in a minor key, is disregardedMore example sentences
- It is a minor film in a minor key, but it is helped immeasurably by one thing - the role of Mina is played by Carole Bouquet.
- The real trouble is a plot line from Middle Earth via the New Age that features our questing hero Tommy Matisse (the artist, get it?), well played in a minor key by Dan Spielman as a star composer at the Royal Academy of Music.
- If ever a film was composed in a minor key, it is this beautiful and sad movie from the Turkish director Nuri Bilge Ceylan, which simply floats like a helium balloon above the middling mainstreamers that have rolled up this week.
Middle English: from Latin, 'smaller, less'; related to minuere 'lessen'. The term originally denoted a Franciscan friar, suggested by the Latin name Fratres Minores ( 'Lesser Brethren'), chosen by St Francis for the order.
Words that rhyme with minorangina, assigner, china, consignor, decliner, definer, Dinah, diner, diviner, forty-niner, hardliner, incliner, Indo-China, liner, maligner, Medina, miner, mynah, recliner, refiner, Regina, Salina, Shekinah, shiner, signer, South Carolina, Steiner, twiner, whiner
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: minor
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.