Definition of minor league in English:
1A league below the level of the major league in a professional sport, especially baseball.
- An equally interesting but seldom reported story is the adventure of breaking into professional baseball in the minor leagues.
- The topics of discussion will include college, minor league, and major league baseball.
- The draft was taking players from the big leagues and the minor leagues.
1.1 [as modifier] Insignificant; small-time: a minor-league villain
More example sentences
- This is for all those nights in two-bit minor-league towns, for all the times he was told he wasn't good enough.
- Liar-liar works magnificently against the TV rookie, the minor-league humanities professor blinking into the camera from a remote studio in the Midwest.
- It's okay to be wrong when you're an assistant professor and minor-league blogger like myself; the rules are different when you are the president of a university.
- Example sentences
- In the two trades, Oakland received a total of three minor-leaguers.
- In return, you demand hot minor-leaguers who will one day develop into stars and lead you to future pennants.
- Maybe the Yanks do have some insight into the minor-leaguers who can help them after all?
Definition of minor league in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia