noun (plural minyanim /ˈmɪnjənɪm/)
- A quorum of ten men over the age of 13 required for traditional Jewish public worship.More example sentences
- The minimum number required for Jewish worship, a minyan, is ten.
- The Kaddish is to be recited only in the presence of a duly constituted quorum, a minyan, which consists of ten males above the age of Bar Mitzvah.
- Therefore, the regular Orders of Service should be recited, if possible, with a minyan of participants, defined in tradition as ten or more male Jews of the age of 13 or over.
mid 18th century: from Hebrew minyān, literally 'reckoning'.
More definitions of minyanDefinition of minyan in:
- The US English dictionary