- A mixture of sautéed chopped vegetables used in various sauces.More example sentences
- Using the same frying pan, add the mirepoix of vegetable and colour.
- I added the mirepoix and explained to the class how this mixture of diced onion, carrot, and celery is the foundation of all great sauces.
- His mirepoix is listed among ‘essences’ and, indeed, is a meaty concoction (laced with two bottles of Madeira!) which, like all other essences, was used to enrich many a classic sauce.
French, named after the Duc de Mirepoix (1699–1757), French general.
More definitions of mirepoixDefinition of mirepoix in:
- The US English dictionary