Govern (a state or country) unfairly or inefficiently: every nation has the right to govern, or misgovern, itself
More example sentences
- If we can keep our unity, we can turf out of their seats those who have misgoverned the country.
- The stories are set in the 1190s, with King Richard away on crusade and his shifty brother John misgoverning the country.
- Unfortunately, the Alliance members, most of whom belong to Uzbek and Tajik ethnic minorities, had misgoverned the country in the early 1990s.
- Example sentences
- Enthusiasm at the possibility of transcending ethnic politics turned to dismay as misgovernment, corruption, and human rights violations occurred.
- ‘An informed public is the most potent of all restraints upon misgovernment,’ he wrote.
- Many nationalists disapproved of migration, arguing that it was the wicked and inevitable product of British misgovernment.
Words that rhyme with misgoverncoven, govern, oven, sloven
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mis|gov¦ern
Definition of misgovern in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.