Definition of misogamy in English:
noun[mass noun] rare
Dislike of or aversion to marriage.
- Why can't you just get over your misogamy and marry Alex?
- You never practice misogamy in front of a groom!
- The absence of a concluding discussion leaves the reader without a clear perspective on the literary treatment accorded to the themes of misogyny and misogamy from Antiquity to the Middle Ages.
Mid 17th century: from Greek misos 'hatred' + gamos 'marriage'.
- Example sentences
- The bleeding heart misogamists hate not only marriage between man and woman, but they also loathe the supremacy of the common man over the pretense of their oligarchic condescension.
- Ganymede frequently appears in the debate dialogues popular in the medieval period, as both a misogynist and a misogamist.
- I should hasten to point out that I am no misogamist, however near misogamy the attitude above brings me (but it is fatherhood alone I am avoiding).
Words that rhyme with misogamyendogamy, exogamy, heterogamy, homogamy, monogamy
Definition of misogamy in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan