noun[mass noun] rare
Dislike of or aversion to marriage.
More example sentences
- Why can't you just get over your misogamy and marry Alex?
- You never practice misogamy in front of a groom!
- The absence of a concluding discussion leaves the reader without a clear perspective on the literary treatment accorded to the themes of misogyny and misogamy from Antiquity to the Middle Ages.
mid 17th century: from Greek misos 'hatred' + gamos 'marriage'.
- More example sentences
- The bleeding heart misogamists hate not only marriage between man and woman, but they also loathe the supremacy of the common man over the pretense of their oligarchic condescension.
- Ganymede frequently appears in the debate dialogues popular in the medieval period, as both a misogynist and a misogamist.
- I should hasten to point out that I am no misogamist, however near misogamy the attitude above brings me (but it is fatherhood alone I am avoiding).
Definition of misogamy in:
- The US English dictionary