Definition of misplay in English:
Play (a ball or card) wrongly, badly, or in contravention of the rules: both balls were misplayed figurative Labour’s leaders misplayed their hand last week
More example sentences
- One of those singles was due to the Queen's returner misplaying the ball near the goal line and having no choice but to concede the point.
- He has shown a tendency to put his head down and slow down after misplaying balls, but that's more because he gets upset with himself.
- The Irish industry seriously misplayed their cards and shot themselves in the foot.
Pronunciation: /also mɪsˈpleɪ /Back to top
An instance of misplaying a ball or card: they scored twice, helped by misplays from the left fielder
More example sentences
- Their decisive six-run first inning in Game 5, too, hinged on Oakland misplays - misplays in the late-afternoon light that somehow didn't trouble New York.
- If there is a runner on first and the batter hits a ball down the right-field line, the scorer has to watch the ball and the fielder for a possible misplay.
- But you can easily reason that in this case, Perez noticed Tails' misplay, and as a result, Perez took advantage of the misplay and scored a run.
Words that rhyme with misplayaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, gainsay, gay, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea • cantabile • roundelay
Definition of misplay in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan