Translate (something) incorrectly: passages from the Bible were either mistranslated or taken out of context
More example sentences
- He mistranslates the word for ‘love-sorcery worked with roots’, which he renders as ‘she should not be a scold.’
- Arabic documents are mistranslated by the few overworked linguists, substantially delaying investigations.
- Western journalists who don't know Iraqi history have routinely mistranslated the name of this group.
- More example sentences
- There are many unbelievers who tried to point out several alleged contradictions in the Qur'an but all of their attempts were either out of context, mistranslations or misquotations.
- There are no amusing typos, which is a notable absence given that mistranslations have been a mainstay of British comedy for decades.
- She put too many vague sentences in the story, which eventually caused our mistranslation.
Definition of mistranslate in:
- The US English dictionary