Translate (something) incorrectly: passages from the Bible were either mistranslated or taken out of context
More example sentences
- He mistranslates the word for ‘love-sorcery worked with roots’, which he renders as ‘she should not be a scold.’
- Arabic documents are mistranslated by the few overworked linguists, substantially delaying investigations.
- Western journalists who don't know Iraqi history have routinely mistranslated the name of this group.
- Example sentences
- There are many unbelievers who tried to point out several alleged contradictions in the Qur'an but all of their attempts were either out of context, mistranslations or misquotations.
- There are no amusing typos, which is a notable absence given that mistranslations have been a mainstay of British comedy for decades.
- She put too many vague sentences in the story, which eventually caused our mistranslation.
Words that rhyme with mistranslateabate, ablate, aerate, ait, await, backdate, bait, bate, berate, castrate, collate, conflate, crate, create, cremate, date, deflate, dictate, dilate, distraite, donate, downstate, eight, elate, equate, estate, fate, fête, fixate, freight, frustrate, gait, gate, gestate, gradate, grate, great, gyrate, hate, hydrate, inflate, innate, interrelate, interstate, irate, Kate, Kuwait, lactate, late, locate, lustrate, mandate, mate, migrate, misdate, misstate, mutate, narrate, negate, notate, orate, ornate, Pate, placate, plate, prate, prorate, prostrate, pulsate, pupate, quadrate, rate, rotate, sate, sedate, serrate, short weight, skate, slate, spate, spectate, spruit, stagnate, state, straight, strait, Tate, tête-à-tête, Thwaite, translate, translocate, transmigrate, truncate, underrate, understate, underweight, update, uprate, upstate, up-to-date, vacate, vibrate, wait, weight
Definition of mistranslate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.