Definition of mitochondrion in English:
noun (plural mitochondria ˌmʌɪtə(ʊ)ˈkɒndrɪə)Biology
An organelle found in large numbers in most cells, in which the biochemical processes of respiration and energy production occur. It has a double membrane, the inner part being folded inwards to form layers (cristae).
- Chloroplasts are cell organelles comparable to the mitochondria of animal cells.
- Inside the cytoplasm are mitochondria and endoplasmic reticulum.
- The singlet oxygen damages cell membranes, mitochondria and cell nuclei.
- Example sentences
- This precaution may extend to all mutants with defective mitochondrial morphology.
- Destructive and degradative rearrangement of mitochondrial ultrastructure under anaerobic stress.
- They localized preferentially at mitochondrial sites and perinuclear regions.
Definition of mitochondrion in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.