Definition of mitogen in English:
A substance that induces or stimulates mitosis.
- Platelet-derived growth factor is a major polypeptide growth factor found in human serum, platelets and fibroblasts and is a potent mitogen for cells of mesenchymal origin.
- The technique of three-color flow cytometry was used to generate precise estimates of cytokine responses to cells collected from the blood, cultured and stimulated with a mitogen.
- Cells from each individual were tested at 3 different concentrations of the mitogens for optimum stimulation.
- Example sentences
- In addition, muscarinic receptor stimulation augmented the mitogenic responses of human airway smooth muscle cells to epidermal growth factor.
- Endothelin - 1 has been implicated in pulmonary hypertension because of its dual vasoconstrictor and mitogenic actions.
- When associated with vesicles of dipalmitoylphosphatidylcholine, surfactant protein C inhibited the mitogenic effect of lipopolysaccharide to a macrophage cell line.
Definition of mitogen in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.