Definition of mitre in English:
1A tall headdress worn by bishops and senior abbots as a symbol of office, tapering to a point at front and back with a deep cleft between.
- In it, a bishop who had committed disgraceful acts was stripped of the symbols of his office - mitre, crosier and ring.
- He is wearing a grey fantasy costume with a red collar and a red-black stripe in the front that resembles a mitre.
- The mitre had a band, or plate of inscribed gold.
2 (also mitre joint) A joint made between two pieces of wood or other material at an angle of 90°, such that the line of junction bisects this angle: [as modifier]: a mitre saw
More example sentences
- Apply some glue at the miter joint between the two pieces.
- Once the miter joint looks good, lightly tack it in place.
- Although a miter joint can be used, it is sometimes difficult to get a tight joint, especially when walls are drywall.
2.1A diagonal seam between two pieces of fabric that are sewn together at a corner.
- Rethread the needle and, beginning at a bottom corner, blind stitch up the corner miter to the fabric upper edge.
- On a sectioned shade, clip the corners at the shade lower edge so they form a miter when the hem is turned up.
3 (also mitre shell) A mollusc of warm seas which has a sharply pointed shell with a narrow aperture, supposedly resembling a bishop’s mitre.
- Family Mitridae, class Gastropoda: Mitra and other genera
- In one corner were piles of seashells attractively packaged and framed in boxes for hanging on the wall - cowries and mitre shells, murex and spider shells.
- The nautilus shell and miter shell are arranged as illustrations from a natural science sketch book.
- This lot includes 20 Pacific miter shells that have been hand-drilled through the tips to make them into beads.
verb[with object] Back to top
Join by means of a mitre joint or seam: turn up a double hem, mitring the corners
More example sentences
- When mitering the box trim, always start by first cutting and mounting an end trim piece, then the long front trim and finally the other end.
- Pin pieces of 2-inch-wide ribbon onto each of the four edges of the curtain panel; miter the corners.
- The corners were mitered as the top of the trim was placed and pinned around the panel.
Definition of mitre in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan