Definition of mitt in English:
1.1A glove leaving the fingers and thumb-tip exposed.
- There are definite tricks to tasks such as fitting a mask, manipulating camera controls, tightening straps and all the other things divers need to do without thinking about it while wearing dry gloves or mitts.
- The temperatures of around 20F can be a problem for some pilots who have only gloves and no mitts.
1.2 (also baseball mitt) Baseball A large fingerless glove worn by the catcher or first baseman.
- For the love of a glove: a baseball mitt just isn't a necessary piece of equipment, it's a part of life for many players
- You just don't see 10-year-old kids throwing around a rugby ball or kicking a soccer ball in the States; they've either got a baseball mitt on their hand or are throwing around a basketball or football.
- I wanted a baseball mitt so bad a sweet hurt blossomed in my stomach whenever I thought about it…
1.3 informal A person’s hand: it’s essential to get your mitts on a pair of low-slung combat trousers
More example sentences
- This big grumbly rumbly bear of a man with shoulders wider than most airline seats and mitts so big that my kitty Abby could probably sit comfortably in his palm likes my silly pet name for him.
- They're trying to get their grubby mitts on our big cars and mansions in Pondok Indah and Bintaro.
- Tickets for the 200-capacity date next month may have been snapped up within hours of going on sale but we have managed to get our mitts on a pair of the coveted items.
Mid 18th century: abbreviation of mitten.
Words that rhyme with mittacquit, admit, backlit, bedsit, befit, bit, Brit, Britt, chit, commit, demit, dit, emit, fit, flit, frit, git, grit, hit, intermit, it, kit, knit, legit, lickety-split, lit, manumit, mishit, nit, omit, outsit, outwit, permit, pit, Pitt, pretermit, quit, remit, retrofit, sit, skit, slit, snit, spit, split, sprit, squit, submit, transmit, twit, whit, wit, writ, zit
Definition of mitt in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.