- 1Consisting of different qualities or elements: a mixed diet beaches with mixed sand and shingleMore example sentences
- The proposed site consists of a trading estate, made up of a mixed quality of industrial buildings, many of which are empty.
- Most people maintain health and adequate protein intake from a mixed, varied diet.
- Mr Mumford said the council was seeking to achieve high quality, new and refurbished office space as part of mixed retail/residential led projects.
- 1.1(Of an assessment of, reaction to, or feeling about something) containing a mixture of both favourable and negative elements: the film opened last Friday to mixed reviews I had mixed feelings about seeing Laura againMore example sentences
- That moment outside the theatre stirred my already mixed feelings about reviewing Canadian movies.
- This got a mixed reaction, more negative than positive from the crowd.
- And despite the mixed reaction and reviews, his restructuring efforts drew keen attention both at home and abroad.
- 1.2Composed of different varieties of the same thing: crab on a bed of mixed saladMore example sentences
- There's a nice serve-yourself salad of mixed greens, tomatoes, cabbage, carrot and cauliflower, accompanied by creamy dressing.
- It comes with a nice mixed greens salad on the side.
- In place of kidney beans, I buy a can of mixed beans (for variety in colour and taste).
- 1.3(Especially of an educational establishment or a sports team or competition) of or for members of both sexes: the college’s mixed hockey teamMore example sentences
- Well we're competing against the women's division too and won, and also we're competing against mixed teams.
- She also achieved a silver medal in the mixed team randori.
- I believe it is the only sport designed for mixed teams.
- 1.4Involving or showing a mixture of races or social classes: people of mixed raceMore example sentences
- Up until the final ten minutes this has been an intelligent, witty and unusually shrewd look at the social acceptance of mixed race relationships.
- Detectives were last night appealing for information to help trace the alleged attacker, who is of mixed race, in his early 20s, and about 5ft 7in.
- The second offender was of around 13 to 16 years old of mixed race, 5ft 2in to 5ft 4in and had short dark hair.
late Middle English mixt: from Old French mixte, from Latin mixtus, past participle of miscere 'to mix'.