- A large extinct flightless bird resembling the emu, formerly found in New Zealand.
More example sentences
- Family Dinornithidae: several genera and species; Dinornis maximus is the tallest known bird at over 3 m, but Megalapteryx didinus, which may have survived until the early 19th century, was much smaller
- Ostriches, emus, cassowaries, rheas, kiwis, moas and elephant birds really are more closely related to each other than they are to any other birds.
- Other ratites, the elephant bird of Madagascar and the moas of New Zealand, have been extinct for several centuries, probably as a result of human hunting.
- Owen also identified New Zealand's giant flightless bird, the moa or dinornis, from a piece of shin just 15 cm long.
mid 19th century: from Maori.
More definitions of moaDefinition of moa in:
- The US English dictionary