- 1An arbitrator or mediator: Egypt managed to assert its role as a regional moderatorMore example sentences
- We applaud the efforts of model developers to look at mediators and moderators of effectiveness, and believe that this will be an extremely productive avenue of research.
- Potential mediators and moderators of the relation between childhood peer rejection and negative outcomes have not been thoroughly tested.
- Thus, it appears that ethnic identity more likely operates as a moderator or as a mediator or as a co-factor in protection from drug abuse.
- 1.1A presiding officer, especially a chairman of a debate: the debates will each feature one moderator and a panel of three questionersMore example sentences
- Or had the retired general simply not considered the possibility that debate moderators would ask him questions?
- Aggressive moderators don't get picked as debate moderators, Lou.
- And my answer there is that my function as a debate moderator has always been to just to facilitate the exchange between the candidates, to get them to talk about it.
- 1.2A Presbyterian minister presiding over an ecclesiastical body: the newly elected Moderator of the Dutch Reformed ChurchMore example sentences
- He has been the moderator of the Free Presbyterian Church since he founded it in 1951, a longer run in power than most popes.
- Last month the former moderator of the Presbyterian Church, went so far as to call for an end to the withdrawal by Protestants from mixed towns and areas.
- The organization constituted itself in January and elected as moderator the head of the Episcopal Diocese of New York.
- 2British A person who reviews examination papers to ensure consistency, or otherwise oversees an examination: after marking by the tutor, the papers are returned to a moderatorMore example sentences
- Reducing external assessment could save the £60 million spent on moderators and examiners for GCSEs and GNVQ courses, he claims.
- Testers were observed by moderators during the examination.
- Data quality was ensured by having the moderator present his coding to a team including the principal investigator, a research assistant, and the principal investigator's graduate students.
- 3A person who moderates an Internet forum or online discussion.More example sentences
- I'm not interested in reading only what your moderators approve.
- The many list members cannot see which posts have not been approved by the few moderators.
- We failed; the moderators filtered out our fake files.
- 4 Physics A substance used in a nuclear reactor to retard neutrons: in a fast reactor there is no moderator to slow the reaction downMore example sentences
- Heavy water is a suitable and convenient moderator of neutrons in nuclear reactors.
- The moderator provides neutrons, which are captured by the uranium atoms.
- The most common moderators are substances of low atomic weight such as heavy water (deuterium oxide) or graphite.
- More example sentences
- If not, then the communities are not similar enough for that argument to apply for moderatorship.
- Even if I'm not eligible for moderatorship, it would still be fun to watch the events.
- No one here will get a moderatorship based on celebrity status or otherwise, the ones who got moderatorships here got them based on their support and treatment of me in the past.
More definitions of moderatorDefinition of moderator in:
- The US English dictionary