- History up to the present day, from some arbitrary point taken to represent the end of the Middle Ages. In some contexts it may be contrasted with ‘ancient’ rather than ‘medieval’ history, and start (for example) from the fall of the Western Roman Empire.More example sentences
- I was initially fired up about history at school, but it was through the study of ancient not modern history.
- She started night classes in 1997 and quickly developed a taste for medieval and early modern history.
- The influence of Turkey's modern history on the Turkish present is evident here.
More definitions of modern historyDefinition of modern history in:
- The US English dictionary