Definition of moderne in English:
1Relating to a popularization of the art deco style marked by bright colours and geometric shapes.
- Downtown's newest hotel sports great art, moderne styling, 282 luxe rooms, and a rooftop pool, all a stone's throw from the convention center.
- Jones was perhaps best known at the time for having designed the stunning art moderne interior of the cruise ship The Empress of Britain.
- Examples include the Coolidge Corner Theatre, a 72-year-old art deco movie palace in Brookline, Mass., and the Normal Theater, a 1937 art moderne movie palace in Normal, Ill.
1.1often derogatory Denoting an ultra-modern style: the owner leaned toward modern but anything that even slightly went moderne was to be repressed
More example sentences
- He created a Gotham City that mixed of deco, expressionist and moderne styles.
- What really counts is having a trendy moderne camera or a DAW with 900 virtual tracks!
- The décor is East Village thrift-shop moderne.
1920s: French, 'modern'.
Definition of moderne in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.