Definition of moderne in English:
1Relating to a popularization of the art deco style marked by bright colours and geometric shapes.
- Downtown's newest hotel sports great art, moderne styling, 282 luxe rooms, and a rooftop pool, all a stone's throw from the convention center.
- Jones was perhaps best known at the time for having designed the stunning art moderne interior of the cruise ship The Empress of Britain.
- Examples include the Coolidge Corner Theatre, a 72-year-old art deco movie palace in Brookline, Mass., and the Normal Theater, a 1937 art moderne movie palace in Normal, Ill.
1.1often derogatory Denoting an ultra-modern style: the owner leaned toward modern but anything that even slightly went moderne was to be repressed
More example sentences
- He created a Gotham City that mixed of deco, expressionist and moderne styles.
- What really counts is having a trendy moderne camera or a DAW with 900 virtual tracks!
- The décor is East Village thrift-shop moderne.
1930s: French, 'modern'.
Definition of moderne in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan