Adapt (something) to modern needs or habits, typically by installing modern equipment or adopting modern ideas or methods: he modernized the health service
More example sentences
- These measures had a profound impact on some sectors which modernized their production methods to meet the war's limitless demand for arms and munitions.
- We don't know for sure what caused this problem, but updating and modernizing the national grid is important.
- So I think we in Congress can help these less wealthy areas of the country update and modernize their technology.
update, bring up to date, bring/drag/lead/march into the twenty-first century, streamline, rationalize, overhaul, develop;
renovate, rebuild, reindustrialize, remodel, refashion, retouch, remake, redo, refresh, revamp, make over, rejuvenate, redecorate, refurbish
informal get in the swim, drag oneself into the twenty-first century, get on the ball, get with it
- Example sentences
- Dean has been a modernizer and innovator, and should be embraced for it.
- The idea that progress comes through conflict has been lost to the idea that progress comes through allowing modernisers to do exactly what they want.
- He was always a moderniser, a reformist - and if he was alive today, he would have had me to listen to.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mod¦ern|ize
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.