- Wall coverings include florals, ticking, toile, and moirés depending on the level of formality.
- In the firm's classic line, pure silk moire is making a comeback, and black is back.
- The term moiré, by the way, comes from watered silk, as mentioned in Pepys' Diary.
- Now they carried the 60 feet of pale rose-colored moiré silk to the pit and held them high above the mud.
- Mannish cropped trousers were paired with masculine grey flannel coats covered in subdued moiré swirls, perfect black capes lined in printed silk, and short coachman mantles edged in white mink.
- The firm's voile fabrics had a moire effect created by weaving three different colored nylon layers together.
- The knifed-on ellipses stand out in slight relief against multicolored grounds of poured and squeegeed paint that sometimes imitate woodgrain or moire patterns.
- The two surfaces of bright dipped anodised mesh create a moire pattern and conceal the aluminium tube substructure to which the rear piece of the boxes is fixed.
- Though lavishly illustrated, the photos are marred in many cases by inaccurate captions or even moiré patterns that any skilled scanner operator could have avoided.
Mid 17th century: French moire 'mohair' (the original fabric); the variant moiré 'given a watered appearance' (past participle of moirer, from moire).
Words that rhyme with moireaargh, Accra, afar, ah, aha, aide-mémoire, ajar, Alcazar, are, Armagh, armoire, Artois, au revoir, baa, bah, bar, barre, bazaar, beaux-arts, Bekaa, bête noire, Bihar, bizarre, blah, Bogotá, Bonnard, bra, cafard, café noir, Calabar, car, Carr, Castlebar, catarrh, Changsha, char, charr, cigar, comme ci comme ça, commissar, coup d'état, de haut en bas, devoir, Dhofar, Directoire, Du Bois, Dumas, Dunbar, éclat, embarras de choix, escritoire, fah, famille noire, far, feu de joie, film noir, foie gras, Fra, galah, gar, guar, guitar, ha, hah, ha-ha, Halacha, hurrah, hussar, huzza, insofar, Invar, jar, je ne sais quoi, ka, kala-azar, Kandahar, khimar, Khorramshahr, knar, Krasnodar, Kwa, la-di-da, lah, Lehár, Loire, ma, mama, mamma, mar, Mardi Gras, ménage à trois, mirepoix, nam pla, Navarre, noir, objet d'art, pa, pah, Panama, papa, par, Pará, Paraná, pas, pâté de foie gras, peau-de-soie, pietà, Pinot Noir, pooh-bah, poult-de-soie, pya, rah, registrar, Saar, Salazar, Sana'a, sang-froid, scar, schwa, Seychellois, shah, Shangri-La, shikar, ska, sol-fa, spa, spar, star, Starr, Stranraer, ta, tahr, tar, tartare, tata, tra-la, tsar, Twa, Villa, voilà, waratah, yah
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: moire
Definition of moire in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.