Definition of moko in English:
noun (plural mokos)NZ
1A traditional Maori tattoo, typically one on the face.
- The group demanded that the engineers take off their Maori costumes and fake mokos and ‘show some respect’.
- A lot of the chiefs drew the symbol of their mokos to sign, since obviously they couldn't write.
- I am startled by your wild eyed face darkened with the moko.
1.1 [mass noun] A pattern of moko tattoos: a tall woman with moko on her chin
More example sentences
- Male facial tattooing, called ta moko, was done in stages in a male's life through adulthood.
- I was looking for some info on the Maori style of tattooing, moko, and happened across this interesting article, Megalithic New Zealand.
- A major proportion of Maori live in urban areas, but our people are increasingly looking to their roots through a range of mediums such as sports or ta moko.