1Thick, dark brown juice obtained from raw sugar during the refining process.
- They developed a much simpler and cheaper process using fermented molasses or wheat - eventually manufacturers realised that almost any protein can be broken down to produce it.
- Nowadays it is usually manufactured from wheat gluten or beet molasses by a fermentation process devised in the 1950s.
- MSG is a powdered form of glutamate made by fermenting molasses from sugar cane and beets.
1.1North American Syrup used in baking and to pour over food.
- The food was plain and the menus monotonous, and it took time to get used to the ever-present tea, heavily sweetened with molasses and poured from large steel drums.
- Choose whole-grain flakes, nuggets or biscuits, with healthier, natural sweeteners like honey, molasses or brown rice syrup.
- Add the molasses, corn oil, and maple syrup and, using a rubber spatula, gently stir to combine.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mo|las¦ses
Definition of molasses in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.