1A single unit; the number one.
- His most visually splintered work raises what is in part a political question: what holds these linguistic monads together?
- Pollen grains are packaged into polyads of 32 associated monads, more than enough to fertilize the ovules of an individual flower.
- Pollen grains may be released as monads, tetrads or polyads.
1.1 Philosophy (In the philosophy of Leibniz) an indivisible and hence ultimately simple entity, such as an atom or a person.
- An artwork then, when seen as one of Leibniz's monads, is its own universe but its perspective is within the larger totality of society in which the other artworks reside and refer.
- Now a partless, or indivisible entity does not necessarily have to be infinitesimal: souls, individual consciousnesses, and Leibnizian monads all supposedly lack parts but are surely not infinitesimal.
- Engels sees this process of the endless movement of crowds as emblematic of the dissolution of humankind into a race of monads, of individuals reduced to selfish atoms in a world of atoms.
- Example sentences
- What ultimately undermines the presentation of these seemingly monadic fragments of a stable Cartesian subjectivity in this text is its material referent - the place memorialised as the location of writing.
- Traditionally qualia have regarded as intrinsic, private, ineffable monadic features of experience, but current theories of qualia often reject at least some of those commitments.
- Communication is each monadic individual reaching beyond the limits of their self-enclosed individual existence of I = I.
noun ( Philosophy )
- Example sentences
- The same physical qualities characterize the kind of subjectivity that we would name, variously, Cartesian monadism, Enlightenment individualism or autonomous egotism.
- Rejecting Leibnizian monadism, he favoured the Cartesian doctrine that the universe is filled with a continuous ethereal fluid.
Early 17th century: via late Latin from Greek monas, monad- 'unit', from monos 'alone'.
Words that rhyme with monadtrichomonad
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: monad
Definition of monad in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.