(also monal pheasant)
- An Asian pheasant of mountainous wooded country, the male having dark plumage with colourful iridescence.
More example sentences
- Genus Lophophorus, family Phasianidae: three species, e.g. the crested Himalayan monal (L. impeyanus)
- For example, snow partridge and Himalayan monal pheasant are facing local extinction from many valleys.
- This fan is made from the feathers of the Himalayan monal, a pheasant found in India, Pakistan, and Nepal.
- For the conservation of Himalayan monal and its associated species, it would be important to set aside large undisturbed areas of high altitude oak-rhododendron forests.
mid 18th century: from Nepali monāl, from Hindi munāl.