Definition of monarchism in English:
Support for the principle of having monarchs: his condemnation of parliamentary sovereignty was in line with his lifelong monarchism
More example sentences
- It is certain that National Socialism does not favor monarchism and is definitely republican in conviction.
- Though this displays the conservative side to Scottish nationalism, it is not objectionable to the Catholic hierarchy who can co-exist with the market, monarchism and militarism.
- Red Tories are a slightly different breed of libertarians who usually support Canadian traditions like monarchism and anti-Americanism.
mid 19th century: from French monarchisme.
monarchist noun& adjective
- Example sentences
- While major divisions existed between republicans and monarchists, these were not cleanly organized across party lines.
- In the end, all the different factions, including monarchists and republicans, agreed on a compromise proposal.
- Elizabeth's childhood is invariably presented in monarchist propaganda as a time of unbroken happiness.
Definition of monarchism in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan