1A dog of no definable type or breed: she’s a particularly intelligent mongrel with a lot of collie in her [as modifier]: three-week-old mongrel pups
More example sentences
- The mongrel hounds rushed up a slope, into a stand of scrub.
- He lies in the nest for tonight, taken from a stray mutt and her mongrel puppies.
- Lily the mongrel puppy was one of the first pooches to go online to promote a stray dogs website in North Yorkshire.
cross-bred, mixed-breed, half-breed, hybrid
1.1Any animal resulting from the crossing of different breeds or types.
- He has done workshops with farmers in Cambodia and his findings support the general belief that many farmed animals are genetic mongrels.
- Because they have lived alongside each other for so long, true Scottish wildcats and crossbred mongrels are difficult to tell apart.
- They are mating with the local rare species of white-headed duck producing a mongrel that could force the indigenous breed into extinction.
cross-breed, cross, mixed breed, half-breed, hybrid;
tyke, cur, mutt;
North American yellow dog;
New Zealand kuri;
Asian pye-dog, pariah dog
informal Heinz 57
Australian informal mong, bitzer
- Example sentences
- Apparently the correct definition of his mongrelism is that he is a retriever and Tibetan spaniel cross.
- His desire for an anti-colonial mongrelism might be one way to negotiate between two contradictory realities of Hawai'i: the mixing of its cultures and the separate rights of its indigenous peoples.
- It has all the hybrid vigour of mongrelism and once they learn to speak it properly, world cultural domination will be complete.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mon|grel
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.