(also monkey puzzle tree)
- An evergreen coniferous tree with branches covered in spirals of tough spiny leaf-like scales, native to Chile.
More example sentences
- Araucaria araucana, family Araucariaceae
- Logging and agricultural development have reduced the distribution of Chile's famed national tree - the monkey puzzle tree - to three small areas of the country.
- The stubborn resistance of the Araucanians, who lent their name to the monkey puzzle tree and delighted in its piñons, left a strong Indian influence.
- The tree which was stolen was an araucaria, or monkey puzzle, which was planted in memory of Maurice by his family.
mid 19th century: said to be so named in response to a remark that an attempt to climb the tree would puzzle a monkey.
More definitions of monkey puzzleDefinition of monkey puzzle in:
- The US English dictionary