noun[mass noun] Biochemistry
- An enzyme (present in most tissues) which catalyses the oxidation and inactivation of monoamine neurotransmitters.More example sentences
- Initial attention was drawn to hypericin and pseudohypericin since they inhibit the enzyme monoamine oxidase, as do several pharmaceutical antidepressants.
- He believes that high-sensation seekers have reduced dopamine levels because they have low levels of monoamine oxidase, a brain-active enzyme that regulates dopamine and other neurotransmitters.
- Criminal violence, for example, might be excused as a consequence of low levels of serotonin or monoamine oxidase in the brain.
More definitions of monoamine oxidaseDefinition of monoamine oxidase in:
- The US English dictionary