Definition of monochromatic in English:
1Containing or using only one colour: monochromatic light
More example sentences
- The glints of orange fish scales and the gleam of a metallic beetle are some of the few flashes of colour in a predominantly monochromatic palette.
- Colour choices are subdued, and monochromatic.
- If the set is entirely monochromatic the costumes use vivid colour - luscious carmine reds, particularly for the lovers.
1.1 Physics (Of light or other radiation) of a single wavelength or frequency: it employs diffraction to focus monochromatic light
More example sentences
- After diffraction of the beam, the monochromatic radiation was exited from the lower part of the slit and transmitted by another light guide.
- The helium-cadmium laser provides a convenient source of monochromatic UVA light at sufficient intensity to enable a study of irradiance-dependent phenomena over a reasonable range.
- Interference and neutral density filters were additionally used to obtain a stimulus of white or monochromatic light of different intensities.
- monochromatically adverb
- Example sentences
- Most of the flashback sequences are monochromatically colour-coded to the tiniest detail.
- The painting is monochromatically brown, drifting into black and brownish greens, colours to which Staël gives a brilliant luminosity.
- This is not a monochromatically somber piece, but a suspenseful slice of unvarnished life, mixing anguish and grief with smiles and laughs.
Words that rhyme with monochromaticachromatic, acrobatic, Adriatic, aerobatic, anagrammatic, aquatic, aristocratic, aromatic, asthmatic, athematic, attic, autocratic, automatic, axiomatic, bureaucratic, charismatic, chromatic, cinematic, climatic, dalmatic, democratic, diagrammatic, diaphragmatic, diplomatic, dogmatic, dramatic, ecstatic, emblematic, emphatic, enigmatic, epigrammatic, erratic, fanatic, hepatic, hieratic, hydrostatic, hypostatic, idiomatic, idiosyncratic, isochromatic, lymphatic, melodramatic, meritocratic, miasmatic, monocratic, monogrammatic, numismatic, operatic, panchromatic, pancreatic, paradigmatic, phlegmatic, photostatic, piratic, plutocratic, pneumatic, polychromatic, pragmatic, prelatic, prismatic, problematic, programmatic, psychosomatic, quadratic, rheumatic, schematic, schismatic, sciatic, semi-automatic, Socratic, somatic, static, stigmatic, sub-aquatic, sylvatic, symptomatic, systematic, technocratic, thematic, theocratic, thermostatic, traumatic
Definition of monochromatic in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.