Definition of monochrome in English:
1A photograph or picture developed or executed in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.
- Pioneering monochromes by Malevich, Rodchenko, Reinhardt, Klein and Ryman employ just one color, unlike many later examples that feature a dominant but not single hue.
- In subsequent works, he geometrically structured the stippled monochromes to toy with color contrasts.
- The new works may be her most reserved and elegant since the monochromes (such as charcoal on vellum) that she made in the late '80s.
1.1 [mass noun] Representation or reproduction in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.
- I'm just trying to buy a pair of size 6 basketball shoes in black monochrome.
- Maybe you vividly remember watching the occasion unfold in monochrome as you crowded round a black and white TV with family and friends.
- ‘Making a film in monochrome is one of my little obsessions,’ says Payne.
adjectiveBack to top
(Of a photograph or picture, or a television screen) consisting of or displaying images in black and white or in varying tones of only one colour.
- The images are displayed on monochrome screens on the flight deck and on the lower deck.
- These documentary pictures and the monochrome paintings exist side by side in an uneasy tension.
- He also bemoaned today's monochrome screens and small displays.
- Example sentences
- He shot all of his actors against blue screen backgrounds, later adding a digital production design, effects, all of the action and monochromic blue and tan tinting.
- His exhibit shows 30 monochromic close-up photos of serene faces with accompanying quotes at the sides of each.
- The human condition is poorly represented by such monochromic shades.
Mid 17th century: based on Greek monokhrōmatos 'of a single colour'.
Words that rhyme with monochromevelodrome
Definition of monochrome in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.