Definition of monofilament in English:
1A single strand of man-made fibre.
- Some manufacturers have developed combinations of monofilaments and fibrillated fibers; others blend macrofibers and microfibers together.
- At the high-quality end of the industry, flock manufacturers cut flock from long cables of parallel monofilaments of nylon, rayon, or polyester.
- ‘We can use a monofilament to detect the loss of sensation in the foot,’ he explains.
1.1 [mass noun] A type of fishing line using a monofilament.
- I am not a great exponent of braided lines so tend to use monofilament for my fishing.
- The ability to tie a good knot in monofilament and braid lines is an ability to be cultivated and practised.
- It's essential when fishing braid, to add about 30-ft of monofilament to the end of the braid.
Definition of monofilament in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan