1The theory that humans are all descended from a single pair of ancestors. Also called monogeny.
- This seems to be the ground of his preference for monogenesis - the theory that the races are descended from a common stock - over polygenesis - the theory that the races have different origins.
- Almost any popular folk narrative provides evidence of monogenesis.
1.1 Linguistics The hypothetical origination of language or of a surname from a single source at a particular place and time.
- Language seems to have been the evolutionary Rubicon for Homo sapiens, though the paleolinguist rejects the notion of linguistic monogenesis.
- Example sentences
- A genetic model describing polygenetic and monogenetic factors for the inheritance of the osteochondral disease was used to detect the presence of a major inheritance gene pigs.
- According to the monogenetic theory, Papiamentu originated from a single Afro-Portuguese proto-Creole, that developed as a lingua franca in western Africa.
- Theories of origin Various theories have been proposed to account for the origin of pidgin languages, and fall into three broad types: monogenetic, polygenetic, and universalist.
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mono|gen¦esis
Definition of monogenesis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.