Definition of monolayer in English:
1A layer one molecule thick.
- Highly structured water molecules occur in the monolayer adjacent to hydrophobic domains of intracellular solutes.
- The immiscible behavior between the film-forming molecules in the mixed monolayer was determined according to the surface phase rule.
- Insertion of the same number of extra molecules into distal monolayers did not result in any inhibition of bilayer fusion.
1.1 Biology & Medicine A cell culture in a layer one cell thick.
- The cells in the two unstained wells of each specimen were processed for a second blind passage of culture on fresh McCoy cell monolayers.
- Endothelial cell stretch has been examined previously using innovative in vitro systems applying mechanical stretch of confluent endothelial cell monolayers.
- Organisms at all stages of development could be seen at 96 hours postinfection of culture monolayers.
Definition of monolayer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan