Definition of monomania in English:
Exaggerated or obsessive enthusiasm for or preoccupation with one thing: she has an obsession with the drug that verges on monomania [count noun]: at an early age he developed a monomania about Africa
More example sentences
- His obsession verges on monomania, and he becomes ‘bewitched to her memory’.
- Like most blogs, the content is erratic, syncopated by the intrusions of daily life, random interests, monomania, narcissism and booze.
- Ferguson set up his retirement, cultivated outside interests, sought to escape his monomania - sought, in fact, to get bored with the struggle.
- Example sentences
- So much concentration on the one issue gives floating and centrist voters the impression that the they are monomaniacs who have not changed.
- The monomaniacs in the media are at it again, focusing all their attention on a single story to the exclusion of all others.
- He is variously described as petulant, egotistical, paranoid, jealous, obsessive, a monomaniac - in short, a dangerous man to have in charge of weapons development.
- Example sentences
- Time always seems to contract when I have a lengthy to-do list and expand when I'm consumed by a monomaniacal obsession.
- Braude is clear on this, but it appears that his critics in the media are almost monomaniacal in their fixation on anything involving money!
- After their commendable performance in the days immediately following the attacks, the media are falling back on their old, familiar, monomaniacal ways.
Pronunciation: /mɒnəˈmeɪnɪak/noun& adjective
Words that rhyme with monomaniaAlbania, balletomania, bibliomania, crania, dipsomania, egomania, erotomania, kleptomania, Lithuania, Lusitania, mania, Mauritania, megalomania, miscellanea, nymphomania, Pennsylvania, Pomerania, pyromania, Rainier, Romania, Ruritania, Tasmania, Transylvania, Urania
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.