A molecule that can be bonded to other identical molecules to form a polymer.
- Addition polymerization reactions use free radical monomers to produce polymers.
- Sodium polyacrylate is a polymer containing many acrylate monomers connected end-to-end in a large chain.
- It is produced through a free radical polymerization reaction of styrene monomers.
- Example sentences
- Polystyrene is a high molecular weight polymer made up of repeating monomeric units of styrene.
- In all cases the monomeric lipid molecule is virtually absent, dimeric or trimeric species predominating in each case.
- Polymerization is another type of chemical reaction employed in organic synthesis to couple small monomeric units into a much larger chain.
Words that rhyme with monomerastronomer
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: mono|mer
Definition of monomer in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.