Definition of monomer in English:
A molecule that can be bonded to other identical molecules to form a polymer.
- Addition polymerization reactions use free radical monomers to produce polymers.
- Sodium polyacrylate is a polymer containing many acrylate monomers connected end-to-end in a large chain.
- It is produced through a free radical polymerization reaction of styrene monomers.
- Example sentences
- Polystyrene is a high molecular weight polymer made up of repeating monomeric units of styrene.
- In all cases the monomeric lipid molecule is virtually absent, dimeric or trimeric species predominating in each case.
- Polymerization is another type of chemical reaction employed in organic synthesis to couple small monomeric units into a much larger chain.
Definition of monomer in:
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan