- A compound which occurs naturally as a breakdown product of proteins and is used as a flavour enhancer in food (although itself tasteless). A traditional ingredient in oriental cooking, it was originally obtained from seaweed but is now mainly made from bean and cereal protein.
More example sentences
- Chemical formula: HOOC(CH2)2(NH2)COONa
- It is superior ingredients, not monosodium glutamate, that contribute to the fresh flavour, he said.
- Wheat gluten has also been used as a cattle feed and as a starting point for the manufacture of the food flavour enhancer, monosodium glutamate.
- Soy protein processing produces glutamic acid - the natural form of monosodium glutamate, a brain poison - and toxins and carcinogens are formed.
More definitions of monosodium glutamateDefinition of monosodium glutamate in:
- The US English dictionary