Definition of month in English:
- I changed the calendar month to July as I walked past the bulletin board.
- The second full Moon in a calendar month is sometimes called a blue moon.
- A blue moon is the second full moon in a calendar month.
- Adeline Nakamura had met Bernard almost a year ago and they had been dating for a month.
- This information must be sent to the address above within three months of the date of this letter.
- If he is given the go ahead, it could be months before a date is set for the hearing.
- The operations are usually carried out three to four months into the pregnancies.
- 1a month of Sundays
- informal A very long period of time: no one will find them in a month of SundaysMore example sentences
- A council spokesman said: ‘You would never find this piece of land in a month of Sundays, so the parking must be being advertised somewhere, otherwise drivers would not know about it.’
- If you had asked me at the top of Kilimanjaro whether I would want to do something like this again I would have said not in a month of Sundays.
- It would take you a month of Sundays if you literally poke around with your trekking pole before you put a foot down, so you just trust that it's in the right place.
A month corresponds to the period of time of the moon's revolution, and the words month and moon are related. Their ancient ancestor is also the source of Greek mēn ‘month’, from which English took menstruate (Late Middle English), menopause (late 19th century), and similar words. Shops and entertainments now open on Sundays, but in the past this was not necessarily so. Where Christianity was the dominant religion, restrictions on pleasure and activity meant that Sundays were quiet, private days. This may be behind the expression a month of Sundays, ‘a very long, seemingly endless period of time’. The expression is known from 1836 in The Clockmaker by Thomas Chandler Haliburton: ‘Mr. Slick…told him all the little girls there would fall in love with him, for they didn't see such a beautiful face once in a month of Sundays.’
Words that rhyme with monthcrème de menthe
- US English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.