noun[mass noun] Geology
A granular igneous rock with a composition intermediate between syenite and diorite, containing approximately equal amounts of orthoclase and plagioclase.
More example sentences
- The northwestern parts of La Hague comprise a suite of igneous units ranging in composition from diorite to granite monzonite collectively termed the Northern Granites.
- The St Martin monzonite is the earliest member of the Northern Granites.
- That is why at 8 A.M. on a Saturday I find myself standing in a parking lot in Southern California's Joshua Tree National Park, which is famous for the quartz monzonite rock that draws climbers from all over the world.
late 19th century: named after Mount Monzoni in the Tyrol, Italy, + -ite1.
- More example sentences
- A wide variety of rocks of monzonitic composition make up about 40% of the magmatic rocks in the region.
Definition of monzonite in:
- The US English dictionary