1Relating to Moravia or its people.
- William, along with a field of approximately 150 international runners, covered 133.4 miles through the streets of Brno, the Moravian capital, 120 miles east of Prague.
- This beer is so delicious and full-bodied due in part to the use of under-modified Moravian grains, a decoction mash and the soft waters of the town.
- Elsinger was expelled from his family farm in the Moravian town of Mikulov, just a few miles from the Austrian border.
1.1Relating to or denoting a Protestant Church founded in Saxony by emigrants from Moravia holding views derived from the Hussites and accepting the Bible as the only source of faith.
- The largest of the Protestant congregations are the Moravian Church and Baptist Convention of Nicaragua.
- The 17 Grade II-listed buildings to receive the money include a Moravian missionary church in Gomersal, near Bradford, a small medieval chapel south of Bridlington and a circular church near Sheffield built in the 1960s.
- The celebrated ‘heart warming’ experience in the Moravian meeting house in Aldersgate Street, London, on 24 May 1738, was not the day of Wesley's conversion, as has been widely affirmed.
1A native or inhabitant of Moravia.
- There is no question, though, that central Europeans such as the Swiss and Moravians did reinforce the log-building tradition, and made new contributions as well.
- Formed into a common state after World War I, the Czechs, Moravians, and Slovaks remained united for almost 75 years.
- She was Moravian, and was brought up in a convent in Moravia
1.1A member of the Moravian Church.
- I sense that the Quakers and the Moravians have a pretty good idea of how to collectively pick up the cross and follow Christ amidst the multitude of perspectives and agendas that make up church politics.
- Shortly after getting back from that trip to Saxony, John and Charles Wesley broke with the Moravians for some fairly complex theological reasons.
- Other Protestant groups include Methodists, Moravians, Baptists, and Seventh-Day Adventists.
Words that rhyme with Moravianavian, Batavian, Flavian, Moldavian, Octavian, Scandinavian, Shavian
For editors and proofreaders
Line breaks: Mor|avian
Definition of Moravian in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.