A widely distributed edible fungus which has a brown oval or pointed fruiting body with an irregular honeycombed surface bearing the spores.
- Genus Morchella, family Morchellaceae, subdivision Ascomycotina: several species, in particular the common M. esculenta
More example sentences
- Like oyster mushrooms, morels taste better in a small amount of butter than in olive oil, but again, don't overdo it.
- Other fungi provide numerous drugs (such as penicillin and other antibiotics), foods like mushrooms, truffles and morels, and the bubbles in bread, champagne, and beer.
- Wheeler's white truffles have an aroma of fresh-roasted hazelnuts, butter, and dried morels, and some chefs believe all Oregon white truffles have an aroma superior to that of their European counterparts.
late 17th century: from French morille, from Dutch morilje; related to German Morchel 'fungus'.
Definition of morel in:
- The US English dictionary