A unit of sound from which all variants of a morpheme can be derived or predicted by rule.
More example sentences
- They are complementary, since for each environment of the unit, its morphophonemes indicate the segments in the corresponding parts of that member of the morpheme which occurs in that environment.
- This tendency of leaving out the morphophoneme " t’ becomes more and more common.
- Stress has its own tier, and I will identify this feature specifically, since stress will determine the choice of the morphophoneme.
- More example sentences
- Here, I will start with linking from the morphophonemic component to the phonological component.
- Even so, morphophonemic theory has informed much of the orthographic literature, and for good reason.
- The morphophonemic nature of these words makes comprehension of the meaning of such words clear.
More definitions of morphophonemeDefinition of morphophoneme in:
- The US English dictionary